Welcome Canadian Newcomers!
- practice English: vocabulary, pronunciation, conversation skills
- learn and adapt to urban life in Victoria – cultural and social skills
- get introduced to Christian faith by participating in a church community and grow in your faith in God
- get some helpful volunteer experiences that will help you build a career in Victoria
- make new friends with Canadians and people from all over the world who make Victoria home
English Conversation includes
1) learning through English Conversation Classes on Tuesday and Thursday from 10-11:30 am
2) joining in the weekly worship of our church at 10 a.m. Sunday
3) getting to know each other and making friends in our congregation.
4) attending an Intercultural Tea from 11:30 am – 1 pm every Sunday
Possible activities include YouTube and field trips, cooking, bible study and discussion and dinner get-togethers.
Meet Intercultural Ministry Coordinator, Mari Natress
Mari Nattress was born in Dublin, Ireland and immigrated to Canada in 1960. Growing up in a family of teachers, she chose a career in Education. Mari taught for thirty years in the areas of: Special Education, First Nations Education, Christian Ethics and English Language Arts at the secondary level. As English Department Coordinator at St. Mary High School in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, she and her colleagues saw the need for teacher training in English as a second/additional language. After taking ESL training, the English Department developed classes for newcomers, immigrants and refugees. In the summer months of 2005 and 2006, Mari had the opportunity to teach ESL in Hong Kong.
For the last three years with the Prince Albert Catholic School Division, she held roles of Curriculum Coordinator for grades 6-12 and English Language Arts Consultant. In 2013, the Nattress family walked the Camino de Santiago in Spain. It was such a wonderful experience; Mari went back to Spain and taught for three months at The International School of Barcelona.
Mari can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 306-930-8171