John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, said that followers of Jesus needed 4 components to make faithful decisions: a love of scripture, an understanding of tradition, respect for experience and awareness of wider reasoning. So to help us grow our understanding and love for scripture, we have prepared a multi-layered experience, inviting everyone at St. Aidan’s to engage in some way with the Gospel of Mark – the first gospel to be written down and the shortest of all the gospels.
It is our hope that we are going to love and increase our familiarity with the Gospel of Mark. And that we’ll become more comfortable reading a bible and talking together about our sacred narratives.
Welcome to your introductory exploration of the Gospel of Mark – In this season of Epiphany at St. Aidan’s United. You are invited to take part in whichever ways work best for you:
1. Read the Gospel of Mark at home, on your own time. We have a CD of Gospel of Mark available for borrowing in the library. You can also read Mark online at www.biblegateway.com
2. Use the 32 – day resource guide (available on our website – click here) and in the office to read and reflect on Mark.
3. Attend the Sunday Sermon Series: Jan 14, 21, 28, Feb. 4 & 11
4. Sign up for a 4 session Group Discussion on either: Monday afternoon (1:30 – 3:00) or Monday evening (7:00 – 8:30 pm) on Jan. 15, 22, 29 and Feb 5
5. Watch the Gospel of Mark movie in 2 parts: Sundays, Jan 14 and 21 right after worship (1 hr. sessions)