When the church structure was completed, the following article was published in the Daily Colonist newspaper of November 20, 1894 to mark the official opening of St. Aidan’s Church on November 18, 1894:
The dedication and opening services of the Church of St. Aidan on Sunday last were largely attended both by residents of the district and city folk, there scarcely being sitting room for all. Among the clergymen present in their robes were Rev. D. McRae, Rev. J.W. McMillan of Vancouver, Rev. W.L. Clay and Rev. R.G. Murison. Rev. Clay read the lessons, while Rev. McRae offered the congregational prayers and Rev. Murison those of dedication.
An eloquent, helpful and practical sermon was preached by Rev. McMillan. The music was appropriate, the singing being led by a large choir, while John. G. Brown gave several solos in his best style. Miss Irvine was the organist.
It must have been a very lengthy service, with 19 items on the programme.
Return to History page